LSI is seeking a seasoned Engineering Manager with LED lighting fixture experience to play a critical, leading role in the development of commercial lighting products that will directly impact the growth and performance of our company. In this role, the Engineering Manager will be responsible for the overall administration and management of both new product design as well as VAVE initiatives.
The Engineering Manager will have strong and effective communications skills to coordinate with cross-functional teams to meet aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals. These communication skills will be critical when interacting with Sr. Management and outside resources for tooling, prototyping, and testing of new fixtures and concepts.
The Engineering Manager will be overseeing a medium sized engineering department participating in fast-paced lighting fixture development cycles to solve unique lighting industry challenges to achieve accelerated implementation of new product designs, while also conforming to all regulatory requirements. This position will require direct management of technical professionals while interfacing with product management, sourcing, suppliers, operations and others when additional support is needed. Proven ability to oversee product research, conceptualization, design, development, specification, and engineering documentation is a must.
This position will report to the VP of Engineering and will routinely interact with Product Management and the Sr. Project Manager to identify product needs and compliance to project deliverables. Experience with product development in a LEAN process driven environment is a must. The Engineering Manager must possess an analytical process-driven approach to design with a high attention to detail. The ability to manage projects effectively, demonstrate self-directed leadership, and a willingness to interact as a team is required.
This position will support New Product Development (NPD) ensuring all department activities are aligned to the organizations strategic business plan. Routine report out to Sr. Management with a view of all engineering projects and their related status utilizing analytical project management software tools such as LiquidPlanner required.
- Responsible for staffing, training, organization, productivity and general management of the Design Engineering department
- Interface with the Sustaining Engineering Manager on a routine basis to align and support VAVE activities to guidance and design assistance
- Responsible for budget preparation and subsequent control of budget for all assigned functions
- Participate in strategic and business planning functions including product strategies, workforce requirements, and expense and capital budget proposals
- Track and report project status as needed to management and take all necessary steps to maintain project schedules; identifying and escalating risk items as they surface
- Manage and support engineering projects at a high level working within cross-functional development teams
- Under oversight from Sr. Management, develop and implement policies, standards and procedures pertaining to the engineering function and technical work performed within the department
- Provide oversight for all engineering aspects of product development
- Provide guidance for product specification development
- Keep up to date and mentor engineering staff on industry standards as well as regulatory agency and code requirements (UL, CSA, IEC, Energy Star, etc.)
- Self-train and stay abreast of technological developments within the area of responsibility
- BS in Engineering (Mechanical preferred)
- 10+ years’ experience in mechanical systems design
- 5+ years’ experience in LED lighting fixture design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Experience with CAD (Inventor, Pro/E, Solidworks, etc)
- Experience with optical simulation using Photopia and AGi32 (Desired)
- Working knowledge of circuits, power supplies and LED’s
- Experience with UL certification process and applicable safety standards
- Knowledge of design of thermal management systems and simulation (CFD) is a plus
For consideration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org