Position Title: Director of Engineering
Classification: Exempt, Executive
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Lucifer Lighting is a second-generation family-owned company and over our 30+ years of operation, we have grown from a specialty manufacturer to a global resource for world class architects, designers, and developers who specify our products for everything from high-rise hotels and urban financial centers, to flagship retail stores and restaurants, to private homes and specialty museums.
We have passion for art, design and community. All of our products are designed, prototyped, and manufactured by old-world craftsmen, hands-on machine operators, and high-tech engineers at our sustainably-built headquarters location. Our goal has always been the same: to make lighting fixtures that make it easier for people to see, appreciate and experience special things and places.
Position Summary: Drive short-term and long-term strategy for innovation while leading engineering department to work collaboratively with head of product, manufacturing operations, sales and marketing, customer service, supply chain, and other internal and external partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage mechanical design, develop new products and improve existing product lines.
- Establish and manage all aspects of project plans, schedules, initiatives and process.
- Ensure highest quality products are available on time and on budget and per all regulatory and Company specifications for successful market roll-outs.
- Lead team of engineers and drafters by mentoring, inspiring, motivating, evaluating, and developing them to perform effectively to achieve department objectives.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting on projects statuses.
- Hold design reviews and ensure the quality and timeliness of the mechanical team’s output.
- Provide input to department and Company procedures to correct problems of deficiencies, recommending and implementing changes where indicated and approved.
- Hold self and team accountable to aggressive performance metrics.
- Ensure effective inspection processes are in place that meet the Company requirements for high quality products and early problem identification and correction.
- Utilize best practices for DFMs, DFAs, BOMs, and other engineering processes.
- Ensure timely ECR/ECN creation.
- Help drive continual cost reductions and hit cost reduction goals.
- Ensure team is working with Product Support to resolve field issues and custom product requests.
- Maintain comprehensive product documentation database for drawings, models, component inspections, prototype builds and testing, evaluation and analyses, regulatory compliance, etc.
- Provide Company management effective, timely reporting regarding engineering department’s progress to plans, goals, objectives and initiatives.
- Help qualify vendors.
- Perform other duties as required by the Company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Industrial design or experience in design aesthetics a plus.
- Microsoft Office Suite expertise.
- SolidWorks CAD experience is highly preferred.
- Strong team leader.
- Ability to work efficiently with various personalities, fostering and building strong team relationships and culture.
- Effective cross-functional collaborative/partnering skills.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Creative problem-solver.
- Strategic, forward-thinking ability for identifying trends in luminary technology and the lighting industry.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Ethical leader who inspires trust and confidence throughout the organization.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or manufacturing engineering.
- 10+ years of relevant mechanical product design/management.
- 10+ years of experience in engineering supervision/management.
- Deep knowledge and experience with die casting, extrusion, welding, machining, injection molding, forging, and sheet metal operations.
- Master’s degree or PhD in engineering or an engineering related field.
- Lighting industry experience.
- Experience with consumer or professional assemblies or products, and medium to high volume manufacturing overseas and/or domestically.
- SolidWorks CAD experience.
Please contact David Stites, Interim HR Director
Lucifer Lighting Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment practices for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status.