Focal Point has an immediate opening for an Engineering Development Leader – Performance and Electrical to join our Product Development Engineering team! The successful candidate will be a key part of the Focal Point engineering team, supporting the development of world-class luminaire designs and the integration of those luminaires into an ever- advancing lighting environment. This individual will lead an engineering team accountable for the specification, validation and verification of lighting systems that are integral to high quality performance of premium luminaires. In addition, he or she will develop technical and organizational plans to deliver market leading performance on metrics such as flicker, unique spectral content and color quality. Inspired and motivated by Focal Point’s mission to “Enhance the Human Experience” through lighting, the successful candidate will also conduct research into lighting technologies, helping to shape future growth and development. This position reports to the Director of Product Development & Research.
- Create and maintain a team environment that supports successful development and delivery of high quality, market relevant product designs
- Maintain accountability for the specification, validation and verification of light related performance metrics, internal testing capabilities and external laboratories
- Constantly emphasize the importance of scalable designs and drive a system view for Focal Point’s rapidly growing product portfolio
- Drive a strong understanding and integration of process capability (both internal and external) into electrical performance of luminaires
- Be a coach and mentor to individuals in the electrical engineering team. Identify and develop electrical engineering staff with a passion for technical mastery.
- Customer-focused with a strong sense of urgency
- “Systems Thinker”, with the ability to translate larger objectives into team level tasks
- Tenacious problem-solver, with an energetic approach to raising the bar.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented, with a desire to “roll up your sleeves” to help your team get the job done
- Team player – demonstrated history of creating and maintaining a productive team environment
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering with 7+ years of experience in the design and/or verification of electrical assemblies.
- At least 2 years of experience as an electrical engineering team leader with direct reports.
- At least 2 years of experience as a cross-functional project lead
- Highly proficient in the use of FMEA as a design and risk mitigation tool
- Proficient in combining design best practices with quality control methodologies such as SPC, ISO, or Six Sigma
- Proficient with relevant CAD software.
Focal Point is a Chicago-based family owned and operated architectural lighting manufacturer. Our vertically integrated manufacturing facilities are fine-tuned to produce high quality products with short lead times. Using the most advanced equipment and processes, Focal Point delivers a superior luminaire. Focal Point’s specification grade products are suited for a broad range of applications, and we’re always reaching out to new markets with innovative designs that are engineered by our own experts.
For more information, please contact:
Randall Chism, Talent Manager
Focal Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, age, gender or sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, genetic information, disability, veteran/military status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.