Focal Point has an immediate opening for an Engineering Manager – Product Development to join our Engineering team! The successful candidate will be a key leader on Focal Point’s Engineering team, driving the development of world-class luminaire designs and the integration of those luminaires into an ever-advancing lighting environment. This individual will lead a team of Engineering Team Leads who are accountable for product delivery metrics for teams of mechanical engineers and technicians. In addition, he or she will ensure that projects are delivered on time, while maintaining high quality standards in support of Focal Point’s premium brand. This is a new role, and the successful candidate will bring their previous experiences and personal drive to help create a product development organization that drives exponential growth for Focal Point. This position reports to the Director of Product Development & Research.
- Create and maintain a team environment that supports successful development and delivery of high quality, market relevant product designs
- Collaborate with senior engineering leadership, cross functional peers and external partners to develop and implement improvements to Focal Point’s Product Development approach with a mind to simultaneously improving speed to market and product quality
- Act as a key reviewer of product designs, ensuring design parameters are in alignment with required performance requirements, manufacturing and assembly processes
- Constantly emphasize the importance of scalable designs that supports an architecture approach for Focal Point’s rapidly growing product portfolio
- Drive a strong understanding and integration of process capability (both internal and external) into product design. Enable effective collaboration with suppliers on new designs
- Be a coach and mentor to individuals in the mechanical engineering teams. Identify and develop mechanical engineers with a passion for technical mastery
- Customer-focused with a strong sense of urgency
- “Systems Thinker”, with the ability to translate system level requirements into team level tasks
- Tenacious problem-solver, with an energetic approach to raising the bar
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented, with a desire to “roll up your sleeves” to help your team get the job done
- Team player – demonstrated history of creating and maintaining a productive team environment
- BS in Mechanical Engineering with 10 years minimum of experience in designing and delivering complex assemblies, including electronics integration
- At least 5 years of experience as a mechanical engineering team leader with direct reports
- At least 2 years of cross-functional project leadership
- Highly proficient in the use of FMEA as a design and risk mitigation tool
- Highly proficient in combining design best practices with quality control methodologies such as SPC, ISO, or Six
- Experienced with 3D modeling software, preferably Solidworks
- Previous experience in leading leaders is preferred
Focal Point is a Chicago-based family owned and operated architectural lighting manufacturer. Our vertically integrated manufacturing facilities are fine-tuned to produce high quality products with short lead times. Using the most advanced equipment and processes, Focal Point delivers a superior luminaire. Focal Point’s specification grade products are suited for a broad range of applications, and we’re always reaching out to new markets with innovative designs that are engineered by our own experts.
For more information, please contact:
Randall Chism, Talent Manager
Focal Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, age, gender or sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, genetic information, disability, veteran/military status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.