Family‐run and wholeheartedly committed to delighting with light, Prudential Lighting has been designing and manufacturing architectural fixtures in LA since 1955. While continuing to evolve core product workhorses like rounds, linear and the incredibly adaptable Snap Series. Its proprietary breakthrough, PruOptics, has recently redefined the concept of industry best, elevating and embracing an entirely new product standard. A transformative, high‐efficiency synthesis of superior control and captivating illumination, this advanced technology has reimagined the potential for wall washes, grazes and cove lighting right out of the gate, with infinitely unlimited possibilities ahead.
Lighting Design Engineer…
The primary role of the design engineer will be to develop high end architectural fixtures that meet appropriate aesthetic, environmental, distributional, and installation criteria to provide our customers with leading edge lighting solutions. To achieve these objectives, the successful candidate must interface with operations, purchasing, and the production staff at the facility to ensure that the fixture development project meet internal and external customer requirements, including performance, schedule, and budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with marketing and production teams to create market leading lighting concepts, technologies, and products
- Document designed parts (sheet metal, die castings, extrusions, etc.) and assemblies with detailed drawings to be used for production, assembly, and installation, both in‐house or vendor production using AutoCAD Inventor software
- Build proof‐of‐concept models and prototypes to visualize ideas and to better understand assembly and installation issues
- Along with Purchasing, help identify new potential vendor relationships and manage the current relationships helping improve our cost, lead time, and inventory positions
- Manage successful delivery of project milestones and other launch requirements by agreed upon dates.
- Request and evaluate testing (thermal, photometric, electrical, and environmental) as needed for third party certification (UL, CSA, etc.)
- Experience with rapid prototyping techniques such as foam core modeling, 3D printing, or interfacing with outside vendors such as ProtoLabs, Shapeways, Rapid Sheet Metal, etc…
- Prudential is a manufacturing location, so the ability to readily interact with the manufacturing team and hourly workforce is critical to long‐term success
- Candidate must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder) and legally eligible to work in the United States
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Industrial Design, or Manufacturing Discipline
- +3 years design experience in the lighting fixture industry
- Electronics background preferably working with LED luminaire development
- Proficient in the use of Mechanical Design Software (AutoCad Inventor preferred)
- Experience evaluating fabricated steel, extrusions, and injection molded parts
- Experience with sheet metal manufacturing processes
- Experience maintaining and updating engineering documentation through a structure engineering change notice system
- Hands‐on approach to building and evaluating prototypes
- Relational skills for developing positive working relationships with all project stakeholders
Highly Preferred Qualifications
All criteria listed in the Basic Qualifications section plus…
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Industrial Design, or Manufacturing Discipline
- +5 years design experience in the lighting fixture industry
- Significant experience in launching wet rated luminaire projects with considerable knowledge of ingress protection (IP) sealing solutions and best practices for thermal management in these applications
- Experience designing lighting fixtures for corrosive environments (such as natatoriums) and proven understanding of the lumen maintenance implications with sealed LED light sources
- Experience developing engineering specifications as needed to help ensure component and final product integrity and quality