Lucifer Lighting Company is a privately held San Antonio-based designer and manufacturer of precision-engineered architectural lighting fixtures. You’ll find our products everywhere from SF MOMA to the Nike Headquarters. We’re in the campuses of 4 of the 5 largest tech companies and 5 of the top 10 tallest towers in the U.S. Our customers are the world’s leading architects and designers who look for minimalist industrial design and place a premium on service, quality, and innovation. Our people make magic happen; we are passionate, smart, hard-working, committed, and creative. We like to make work enjoyable and engaging.
We light the world’s most beautiful spaces.
Position Summary: Responsible for product development from concept through production, leading electro-mechanical product design and/or redesign, part assembly and detailed part drawings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design work varies form new product development to product enhancements and may involve work with problem jobs or field fixes. Develops and distributes engineering data in the form of Engineering Change Notices, bills of material and parts tracking.
- Collaborates with and influences cross functional members of the design team, presenting and communicating project status updates to senior management.
- Simultaneously manages multiple projects and tasks while effectively influencing, negotiating, and communicating with internal and external business partners, contractors and vendors to generate high quality, cost effective solutions.
- Mentors and leads other engineers.
- Manages prototyping, testing, and assembly of samples.
- Attends or leads team meetings on the product delivery system for each major product. When heading a project, the lead design engineer is expected to run these meetings.
- Initiates and develops concepts for new products from Market Requirement Specification (MRS) provided by the VP of Product and other avenues such as reviewing competitor’s samples and documentation, and free design techniques. These concepts must be agreeable with standard manufacturing methods utilized by the onsite manufacturing facility or supply chain.
- Develops and documents thermal, photometric, regulatory testing plans Submits test request follow-up with the testing group. Submits prototyping requests, works with machine shop and external vendors in production of prototypes and assembly of samples.
- Generates and revises CAD drawings and models, component inspection, prototype build and product testing.
- Utilize best practices, including DFM, DFA, and tolerance stack analysis in collaboration with manufacturing, supply chain, and vendors to ensure designs are optimized for cost, quality, and performance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experienced in 2D, 3D CAD software (AutoCAD, SolidWorks).
- Experience with Project Management
- High sense of urgency with ability to prioritize multiple projects.
- Waterfall/gate style product development experience. Experience with Agile a secondary priority.
- Knowledge of Lean and ideally Kaizen, continuous improvement, poka-yoke, 5S.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Required Education and Experience:
- 6+ years’ experience with lighting product development
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electromechanical, or other technical/analytical field
- Detailed knowledge of UL and CSA standards and the NEC
- Moderate knowledge of some or all the CE, NOM, IEC standards
- Detailed knowledge of castings (die and investment), forgings, plastic injection moldings, extrusions, machining, heat sink design, sheet metal, surface treatments (powder coating, painting, plating), stamping, drawing.
- Moderate knowledge in light sources and LED Technologies, including LEDs, COBs, PCBs, Drivers, Control Systems, thermal management (simulation and testing)
- Previous ERP software experience.
- Moderate knowledge of electrical circuits, reliability, wiring, control protocols
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 4+ years’ experience with architectural down lighting, track product development for the North American and European markets
- Extensive experience with IP testing, gasket design and thermal simulations.
- Moderate knowledge of IoT lighting specific landscape
- High experience with IP portfolio development and management
Lucifer Lighting Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates can apply at: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=31400&clientkey=EB304364082D06BCDB01D8D832F8BD81