Job Title: Specification Sheet Writer and Editor
Location: Commerce, Los Angeles County
Position Type: Full-Time, Exempt or Non-Exempt
The specification sheet writer must be familiar with general lighting products on the market, applications, and electrical installation codes. Must have a wide range of knowledge on the various lighting types, specifically LED products and its components. The Specification Writer and Editor will create technical specification sheets for the public. The specification writer and editor keeps a library of catalogs and other information for designers and architects to use. The specification writer’s product is a building manual, that can be easily interpreted by government agencies and easily used by contractors.
The successful candidate supports the overall product design team, working closely with senior leadership to create marketing plans, technical collateral, and concept level product designs and prototypes. An ideal candidate is articulate, passionate and creative.
Specification Sheet Writer/Editor Qualifications
- Engineering Degree or other graduate degree – preferred.
- Or the equivalent work experience in the lighting construction industry.
- 5+ years progressive experience in engineering or Product Planning/Product Marketing/Product Management.
- 3 years of direct experience in managing engineering and/or research and development teams, with advanced leadership experience in progressively responsible positions
- Experience with UL, FCC standards and/or Certification process preferred.
- Familiar with lighting product types and building applications.
- Architectural lighting industry experience a plus.
- Fluent in English (verbal and written), with an excellent mastery of English grammar and syntax.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. The specification writer and editor will work with a diverse staff to include engineers, quality testers, purchasing agents, production leaders, and others who have unique personalities. The successful Specification Writer and Editor must be a good listener, patient, and empathetic.
- Strong Knowledge of LED Lighting and Controls.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes including but not limited to Die Casting, Machined parts, Injection molding and extrusions.
- Proficient in drafting software such as Solidworks 3D, MS Office
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to “think on your feet”
- Exceptional attention to detail and multitasker
- Good articulation and professional communication.
- Positive and results-focused; must concentrate on meeting objectives and offer solutions to challenges.
- Must have a good organization method. The successful candidate is dealing with competing deadlines. A solid system of organizing schedules and prioritizing deadlines is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages product families in the Elite Lighting product line.
- Ensure technical product information is always accurate and current
- Act as liaison between the product concept, design, and production teams.
- Create, layout and disseminate technical marketing collateral including, photometric charts, diagrams, installation guides specification sheets, new product e-blasts, and other supporting collateral (webinars, sales) and other materials as requested.
- Help the team as required relating to events (tradeshows, factory trips, etc.)
- Generate and create training courses related to product, brand, history, etc.
- Produce photometric charts, diagrams, installation guides and other materials as requested
- Design concept CAD models, assemblies and renderings.
- Modify existing and create new webpages.
- Identify products to be redesigned, deleted or added
- Works with Marketing Department to generate presentation material
- Assists Engineering Department to understand design requirements and ensure product is built to proper level
- Work with marketing and sales teams to develop launch plans and customer-facing communications strategies.
- Assists Sales Department with presentations and technical support
- Provides training and support to customer service and agents
- Assists Customer Service and Agents with crossing specifications or suggesting alternates
- Works with Purchasing Department to source specialty components required
- Works with Lab Technician to ensure product performance as required
- Works with Lab Technician towards achieving electrical/safety/performance approvals as needed
- Travel to support agent/specifier presentations and trade shows (estimate once/month -OR- when safe to do so)
- Continually add and edit existing content on a multitude of media and changes in product design take place.
- Develop mechanical and electro-mechanical system design solutions based on engineering principles and be involved in presentation of the solution to the engineering team.
- Provide technical support to internal departments.
- Resolve operational problems related to project changes and minimize delays.
- Responsible for project success whether project leader or as part of a project team.
- Support sales and customer service team in technical concept, design, and production.
- Interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems and ensure solutions are implemented accurately.
- Must edit and verify the accuracy of published specification sheets.
- Lead the technical integration of electrical and mechanical components
- Define product features and functions.
- Manage prototype development.
- Work with manufacturing and operations to define product ordering/shipping, requirements, and product release schedule.
- Identify and execute development roadmap to grow category sales
- Other duties as may be required
- Primary work takes place in temperature-controlled offices
- Specification writers may have to visit job sites and materials manufacturers on-occasion.
- Light travel as needed.
Work Hours: Monday to Friday from 7:30 AM through 4:30 PM, later occasion.
About the Job
- Competitive starting salary.
- 6 annual paid holidays.
- 24 annual sick pay hours available after 90 days of continued employment.
- Competitively priced health, dental, vision, and life insurance.
- 401 K eligible after 90 days of continued employment.
- Sign-On Bonus
- Performance-based year-end bonus.
Interested candidates should send their resumes to Bob Rashidi at firstname.lastname@example.org