Beta-Calco is seeking an experienced Vice President of Engineering to join its team. We are a fast growing manufacturer of high quality, performance, architectural/commercial lighting products. With customer focused technology, exceptional after sales service, a twenty year track record of constant product innovation and vertically integrated manufacturing in Toronto, we continue to execute our growth strategy. We are a third generation family owned business with a modern, flat organizational structure offering solid opportunities for career advancement.
As part of Beta-Calco’s management team, reporting to the company’s President and COO, the Vice President of Engineering will strategically manage all aspects of Beta-Calco’s product design and engineering operations, ensuring an effective and successful completion of all engineering deliverables, while continuously striving for improvement. Directing the Engineering department, you will provide oversight and direction to your team, offering support and developing a superior workforce and reaching operational goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct and oversee the daily operations of the Production Engineering team and the New Product Development team.
- Ensure effective communication and execution of engineering tasks, while keeping the team motivated and on track to meet deadlines.
- Review Engineering project schedules to determine staffing requirements, and project assignments, considering budgetary limitations and time constraints while maximizing department efficiencies.
- Develop processes for engineering activities such as product feasibility checks, prototype development, product testing evaluations, product certification, and new product launch.
- Oversee maintenance of Engineering documentation ensuring consistent accuracy and improvement.
- Lead the New Product Development team to develop new, innovative and technologically advanced architectural lighting products.
- Keep current with new technology and industry innovations.
- Analyze Engineering metrics, resource requirements and expenditure to determine areas to improve. Develop strategies to improve Engineering processes, maximize productivity, minimize errors while lowering costs.
- Propose potential trends and technologies that should be integrated into new and existing products.
- Provide support to Customer Service, Marketing, Purchasing, Fabrication and Assembly teams.
- Plan and evaluate the performance of team members, establishing performance measures and personal developmental goals, monitor performance and provide coaching for staff.
- Manage Beta-Calco’s CAD system software, ensuring every engineer has access to the necessary CAD systems.
- Support and work closely with management team members on strategic management projects and initiatives.
Skills and Qualifications:
- BSc degree in Engineering or Industrial Design (with a focus on Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics or optics preferred).
- Minimum of 5 years successfully managing an engineering team in a manufacturing environment.
- Previous experience with the design of LED lighting and electronics.
- Advanced skills in Solidworks or similar 3D CAD.
- Excellent knowledge of raw materials, manufacturing methods for aluminum and sheet metal manufacturing, and other fabrication methods (e.g. injection molding, die casting, extruding).
- Self-motivated with the ability to multitask and thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
- Strong organizational, communication, and project management skills.
- Very strong critical-thinking skills. Uses Strategic thinking and planning, able to identify issues, propose viable solutions, and implement appropriate changes.