Focal Point has an immediate opening for a Design & Development Mechanical Engineer. This is an exciting opportunity to be a key part of the Focal Point engineering team, developing and supporting world-class luminaire designs. This individual will lead a multi-disciplinary team in the design, implementation and launch of new products. This position reports to the Product Development Manager.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team in bringing new or improved products and derivatives to market
- Apply creative thinking and analysis to develop unique, innovative concepts that meet or exceed customer requirements
- Work closely with product management on product requirements and assure we have right sized product scope and timing to meet the needs of our customers.
- Establishing timeline commitments and to coordinate communication updates to all areas of the business.
- Ownership of complete project deliverables, including design documentation, production documentation, sales tools, cost model, etc.
- Influence, review, and critique others’ designs, ensuring best practices are followed and lessons learned are incorporated
- Simultaneously support multiple projects in various phases of development
- Analyze risks and root out issues early in the design process, using various internal Focal Point resources, as needed
- Be a coach and mentor to the mechanical engineering team.
- Proven track record of identifying and executing on new product development projects from design to implementation in production
- Tenacious problem-solver, with an energetic approach to raising the bar. Someone the team we will wish to seek/engage to solve tough design challenges.
- Self-motivated, self-directed, and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication and organizational skills – ability to forge relationships with others and align on the best decision
- Detail-oriented, with a desire to “roll up your sleeves” to help your team successfully meet project deadlines
- Customer-focused with a strong sense of urgency
- Team player – demonstrated history of building rapport and quickly integrating with a new team
- Business Acumen – the ability to quickly analyze options to formulate the best value plan
- 3-7 years of professional engineering work experience, preferably in product development
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited program
- 3D CAD software expertise required. SolidWorks preferred.
- Demonstrated success in ensuring cost reduction targets are achieved as outlined in the project scope
- Demonstrated success working in cross-functional teams through projects or organizations
Focal Point is a Chicago-based family owned and operated architectural lighting manufacturer. Our vertically integrated manufacturing facilities are fine-tuned to produce high quality products with short lead times. Using the most advanced equipment and processes, Focal Point delivers a superior luminaire. Focal Point’s specification grade products are suited for a broad range of applications, and we’re always reaching out to new markets with innovative designs that are engineered by our own experts. Our ever-expanding product line is sold and distributed via independent lighting agents worldwide.
For more information, please contact:
Randall Chism, Talent Manager
Focal Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, age, gender or sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic identity, genetic information, disability, veteran/military status or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Visit us online at www.focalpointlights.com
©2018 Focal Point L.L.C. | 4141 S. Pulaski Road, Chicago, IL 60632