SUMMARY: The Manufacturing Engineer’s success directly impacts the advancement of technology and innovation within Hapco. This individual will uphold the standards and expectations set forth by upper management and is responsible for contributing to the overall success of the manufacturing functions. The Manufacturing Engineer reports directly to the Manager-Manufacturing Engineering.
Manufacturing Engineering is a broad area which includes the design and development of products. The manufacturing engineering discipline has strong overlaps with mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, electrical engineering, electronic engineering, computer science, materials management, and operations management.
The Manufacturing Engineer determines and develops the optimal manufacturing methods, processes and technology for producing company products from start-up, building the product line, through satisfactory production. This includes analyzing engineering design documents to establish manufacturing methods and processes to manufacture a component, creating conceptual sketches and initiating the design and building of required tooling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Launches new products into manufacturing.
- Make drawings, specifications and computer models of products.
- Consistently searches for ways to improve processes, efficiencies, and product quality.
- Troubleshoots manufacturing process and equipment.
- Ensures program commitments for cycle time and process time are achieved.
- Participates in lean manufacturing methodologies such as Kaizen events and value steams.
- Develops Manufacturing Plans
- Standard Work Project; Tooling / Facilities Equipment Capacity; Develop Tooling and Operations Concepts; Generate Tool Specifications; Value Stream Flow Facility Floor Planning; Consumable Materials; Product Handling & Flow
- Works in partnership with Engineering Department to design structures with Aluminum (ADM); Steel (AISC); International Building Code, ASCE 7; AWS (Aluminum and Steel).
- Reads and understands building codes, construction specifications and drawings.
- Oversees all aspects of multiple projects insuring on-time and under budget project completion.
- Reviews plans, specifications and special provisions.
- Creates and manages a project book for best practices and applications.
- Works directly with internal and external engineering and design teams for the design and manufacture of Hapco products.
- Provides representation at project meetings, attendance at pre-manufacturing, pre-fabrication and manufacturing meetings.
- Reviews customer submittals including QC plans, supervision and general direction of the requested product.
- Functions as a liaison with designers, including engineers, to agree on safe designs and their fit with the aesthetic concept of the structure.
- Assists in troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Examines products at risk of failure and advise how to improve their structural integrity, such as Provides rapid response to complaints and recovery from problems resulting from failure in product or service provided by Hapco.
- Recommending removal or repair of defective parts or rebuilding the entire product.
- Occasional travel for business purposes may be required.
- Carries out departmental goals consistent with corporate strategic goals.
- Builds positive working relationships both internally and externally.
- Fosters a team based environment to accomplish company goals and to identify and resolve problems.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Skill sets must include business related computer literacy, analytical problem solving, excellent verbal and written communication, and multi-task oriented skills.
- Strong manufacturing engineering skills with a solid ability to effectively present information.
- Machining, CNC, Welding, Metal Fabrication
- Experience with fabrication, assembly and shop math, material processes, using and designing tools, fixtures and gauges.
- Excellent working knowledge of analysis, field experience and design software for aluminum & steel, such as; AutoCAD/Inventor 3D, RISA 2D & 3D, STRUDL and MathCad.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Micro Soft Project.
- Investigation experience.
- Excellent communication and organization skills are an absolute must.
- Willingness to brainstorm with dynamic engineering and manufacturing team.
- “Outside the box” thinking required.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required such as Bachelor of Engineering, or Bachelor of Science, with a major in Manufacturing Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. A Master’s Degree relating to manufacturing engineering is preferred. A minimum of a (5) five-years manufacturing engineering experience with related experience and/or training or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and perform trigonometric and geometric calculations.
The employee in this position must possess the ability to communicate effectively one-on-one or in group situations with customers, industry groups and co-workers; utilizing methods to include, but not limited to verbal presentations or conversations plus telephone and email communications.
Ability to apply common sense understanding while carrying out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Possess the ability to deal with problems involving several variables in various situations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand and sit in the process. The employee must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. Proper lifting techniques required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moving machining equipment, moving mechanical parts, dirt, oil, grease, metal shavings and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and there is the potential of accidental electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is sometimes loud with exposures ranging from 80db to more than 100 db at certain times. Specified safety equipment shall be used at all times while around such equipment or performing tasks within the plant.
MUST use Job Code MAE/ER-61521. For confidential consideration, provide resume, salary history & any certifications. All positions require verifiable work history.
Please no calls, recruiters or 3rd party solicitation.
Email [email protected]
Mail HAPCO, Attn: HR Dept., 26252 Hillman Hwy., Abingdon, VA 24210
Equal Employment Opportunity and Drug Free Workplace