The DesignLights Consortium® is seeking a Technical Manager, Building Integration and Controls to play a key role in our work to drive energy efficiency in the built environment.
We’re looking for a bright, passionate professional who understands the value of mission-driven, results-oriented work.
The DLC team works across the US and Canada to drive efficient lighting technologies. Lighting generates 5-6% of global emissions and we are working with federal, regional, state, and utility efficiency administrators and the lighting industry across North America to raise the bar on lighting quality and efficiency across the globe.
We offer a fast-paced and supportive work environment, competitive salary and bonus structure, and benefits for the right candidate. The DLC is committed to an organizational culture of nondiscrimination, diversity and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants.
Resume with a cover letter should be submitted to:
Stephen White, Chief Operating Officer
No phone calls please.
About the DLC:
The DLC is a non-profit organization improving energy efficiency, lighting quality, and the human experience in the built environment. We collaborate with utilities, energy efficiency programs, manufacturers, lighting designers, building owners, and government entities to create rigorous criteria for lighting performance that keeps up with the pace of technology. Together, we’re creating solutions for a better future with better lighting.
The DLC has successfully helped to advance high performance lighting to realize significant gains in energy efficiency and broad scale energy reduction across the commercial sector from the adoption of DLC qualified products. The DLC develops, manages, and provides specifications that inform Qualified Products Lists (QPLs) for solid-state lighting, networked lighting controls, and horticultural lighting. In addition, the DLC develops supplemental solutions through strategic outreach and engagement with energy efficiency programs, government agencies, the lighting industry, and other key stakeholders.
The Technical Manager, Building Integration and Controls will support all DLC programs with the further integration of connected lighting into intelligent buildings and exterior environments. The position will develop system-level technical requirements and strategic approaches to advance the adoption of connected lighting. Technology focus areas will include room-level control systems, lighting system interoperability, IoT applications, and load management of lighting systems. The right candidate will have a technical understanding of connected lighting and building technologies/systems and applications, utility and energy services markets, construction value chain, and specification and design practices.
As appropriate, this position involves travel within the US and Canada to stay current with the industry; maintain productive relationships with the DLC team and DLC members and stakeholders; engage support for the DLC’s mission, products, and services; and effectively coordinate with relevant external efforts.
The Technical Manager, Building Integration and Controls position requires a detail-oriented person with a strong work ethic, resourcefulness, and professionalism. Typical duties of the Technical Manager include:
- Technical requirements development: Work with DLC team members and industry to develop technical requirements around luminaire-level lighting controls, room controls, and networked lighting controls, along with strategies and policies for connected lighting and building systems across DLC program platforms.
- Research, analysis and tracking of connected lighting environment: Conduct and/or oversee market research and analysis to support strategic development and innovation within the lighting industry, including tracking relevant programs, technologies, policies, codes and market developments to keep DLC programs and services responsive to needs and opportunities. Align with Technical Team and Market Development Team to prioritize market research and execute deep dives/analyses in areas identified in DLC strategic plan.
- Stakeholder engagement: Assist with stakeholder engagement processes (e.g., member and stakeholder advisory groups, meetings, webinars, etc.) to support and inform DLC goals and activities.
- Strategic coordination and public speaking: Coordinate project activities with related national and regional efforts, including participation in selected conferences and workshops (e.g., DOE, IESNA, LightFair, ASHRAE, etc.), which may include written papers, posters, and in-person or remote presentations.
- Extensive background and knowledge of lighting and building systems applications, science, and technology in two or more of the following:
o Lighting and Control Systems o Software applications (APIs, IoT, Cloud, etc.)
o Building systems integration and interoperability
o Building management systems
- Results-driven and self-propelled worker and collaborator
- Ability to work independently but EXCELLENT team player
- Organizational skills that combine helicopter view with hands-on mentality
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including presentations and social media
- Demonstrated experience in successfully managing technical projects involving multiple participants and diverse perspectives
- Minimum five years of work experience with a degree in engineering or related field preferred
- An interest in energy and environmental issues and/or energy efficiency
Additional skills desired, but not required:
- Knowledge of energy efficiency and building energy usage
- Professional Engineer license
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft 365 with advanced skills in Excel
- Familiarity with data visualization using Tableau and/or PowerBI
- Familiarity or experience using SQL, R, Python
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefit plans including comprehensive health, Flex Spend
- Matching 5% 401K plan
- Flexible work schedule
- DLC Headquarters is Medford, MA, but the position can be performed remotely