Position Title: Listing and Testing Engineer
WHAT WE DO
Lucifer Lighting Company is a growing, privately-held, San Antonio-based designer and manufacturer of high-end architectural light fixtures. You’ll find our products everywhere from the Nike Headquarters in Portland and the Instagram office in New York to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the National History Museum, Wrigley Field, the Los Angeles International Airport, and Towers 15, 35 and 55 at Hudson Yards. We’re in the campuses of 4 of the 5 largest US tech companies and 5 of the top 10 tallest towers in the USA. Our customers are the world’s leading architects, lighting designers, and engineers, who value our exceptional-quality, precision-engineering, and innovative-design – our products bring their vision to life.
We light the world’s most beautiful spaces.
WHO WE ARE
- Ambitious. Creative. Committed. Driven. Fun-loving. World class.
- These words describe our company and our community.
- We care for our employees like they are family.
- We care for our colleagues by setting high expectations, creating opportunities to grow professionally and creatively, and having fun along the way.
- We care for our community by giving time, resources, and money to causes that support San Antonio and continuing education, architecture and design.
- We care for our customers by exceeding their expectations for what’s possible.
Join us. Put your career in a whole new light.
Position Summary: The Testing / Listing Engineer / Regulatory Compliance Coordinator supports the Engineering department by planning and performing design validation and tests on a wide range of products, as well as by managing the listing of both new products and variants of existing products to regulatory agencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead thorough construction reviews and work with engineers to document results
- Confer with department personnel to clarify or resolve regulatory related design issues
- Routinely update certification related warning labels used on company product for code compliance
- Perform tests including, but not limited to, thermal and photometric
- Own projects for regulatory listing of new products and variants of existing products
- Read and interpret applicability of national/regional codes and standards primarily related to luminaires and low voltage systems as well as determining driver/led module compatibility
- Analyze test data and report to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications
- Generate detailed and accurate documentation relating to all test reports and results
- Maintain calibration and records of all monitoring devices and measurement tools in the engineering lab areas
- Maintain lab, ensure a professional appearance and compliance with safety requirements
- Utilize knowledge of working safely with electricity to perform a variety of tests and experiments
- Develop superior product and standards knowledge to be an expert in multiple product categories for the local office and outside sales
- Provide consultation in new product development teams in all aspects related to testing and regulatory approbation
- Serve as liaison for company audits by regulatory bodies and incorporate corrective action when/where necessary
- Use computer-assisted engineering software and equipment
- Coordinate with Quality, Purchasing, and Production departments for any noncompliance issues
- Study and research engineering and technical publications to maintain current knowledge of technological changes and developments in the industry
- Comply with all company policies, rules, guidelines and behavior expectations
- Perform other duties as requested by the company
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of engineering discipline.
- Ability to successfully work on multiple projects / programs
- Strong teamwork and communication skills: Demonstrated ability to work as part of a cross-functional team, but also able to work independently with little direct supervision
- Proven communication skills both written and oral
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Ability to communicate verbally with customers, contractors, auditors, specifiers and lighting designers at varying levels of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to partner with others in achieving optimal project outcomes
- Ability to work within tight time frames which, in turn, necessitates both a sense of urgency and the ability to prioritize based on negotiations with internal customers
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
Required Education and Experience:
- 2+ years’ experience performing internal design validation and performance testing
- 2+ years’ experience with internal and/or external regulatory testing
- Basic knowledge of some or all the UL, CSA, NOM, CE, IEC standards and the NEC
- Knowledge may be for non-lighting industry if technical aptitude is high
- Associate degree in Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Electromechanical, or other technical/analytical field (or substantial offsetting experience)
- Basic knowledge of electrical circuits and thermal management
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 4+ years of experience with internal design validation and performance testing
- Thermal, Environmental, Photometric
- 4+ years of experience with internal or external regulatory testing
- Detailed knowledge of the UL, CSA, NOM, and IEC standards related to lighting and the NEC
- Previous experience establishing a testing lab which conforms to UL criteria for testing reports acceptance
- 4 + years of experience communicating with listing authorities reference testing criteria and results
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Electromechanical, or other technical/analytical field (or substantial offsetting experience)
- Previous experience in testing and listing lighting in the US as well as other global markets.
- Broad knowledge in light sources and LED Technologies, including LED and high-brightness (HB) LED packages, power drivers and supplies
- Detailed knowledge of electrical circuits and thermal management
Lucifer Lighting Company is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity in all aspects of employment.
Lucifer Lighting is a tobacco-free company.