The Mechanical Engineer will focus on mechanical designs for manufacturing process and equipment. They will also be proactive in determining if the design will meet relevant codes and current industry requirements for functionality and safety. The Engineer must have excellent knowledge of CAD and Calculation software, a thorough understanding of engineering terminology, basic mathematical skills, and the ability to utilize existing programs (Mathcad, Visual Basic, etc.) to design products for customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Read and interpret specifications, blueprints, bills of material, and written (or verbal) descriptions to determine feasibility and requirements of a project.
- Design, draft, and layout drawings of equipment, fixtures, jigs, tooling, gauges, and assemblies.
- Prepare detailed submittals of calculations, drawings, and/ or tooling and equipment specifications.
- Interact with suppliers concerning design proposals or existing designs.
- Interpret and create bill of materials for equipment and assemblies.
- Participate in engineering and general design reviews as required.
- Perform liaison function between Manufacturing Engineering and all related departments regarding any issues, problems, or improvements.
- Confer with departmental management and others to resolve design problems.
- Keep supervisor advised of workload status, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
- Responsible for writing capital request (CAPEX) and justifications.
- Responsible for managing CAPEX projects and tracking timelines to creating Gantt Charts along with writing project scope of work.
- Knowledge of Statics and Dynamics and strength of materials is a plus along with knowledge of weld types and materials.
- Understanding and experience with safety and machine guarding preferred.
- Provide training and oversight to others within or outside the department as needed.
- Work effectively with others in a team-based environment to accomplish company goals and to identify and resolve problems.
- Ability to multi-task and continually prioritize tasks.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Carry out departmental goals consistent with corporate strategic goals.
- Comply with all company rules, safety policies and procedures.
- Ability to continually prioritize tasks to be completed as requires.
- Self-starter and multi-task oriented. Able to work independently, as-well-as with others, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Any employee who does not understand any portion of the job description for this position needs to bring that fact to their manager’s attention so they can provide further work performance or safety instructions, as needed.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities which are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, at any time, with or without notice.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Skill sets must include business related computer literacy, analytical problem solving, excellent verbal and written communication, and multi-task-oriented skills.
- Dynamic team player who can think outside the box.
- Ability to produce results.
- Strong ability to effectively present information.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college is required. A minimum of (5) five years relevant experience.
Must possess the ability to communicate effectively one-on-one or in group situations with customers, and co-workers; utilizing methods to include, but not limited to verbal conversations, written directions, plus telephone and email communications.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form with the ability to deal with problems involving several variables in various situations. Read/interpret documents correctly. Have the ability to interpret customer specifications, underlying codes, architectural plans, and procedure guides.
The physical demands described here are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to speak and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment includes a combination of a manufacturing and an office setting. IMPORTANT: Eye protection, hearing protection and steel toed shoes are required while present in designated areas of the manufacturing environment.
MUST use Job Code MEE/ER-61521. For confidential consideration, provide resume, salary history & any certifications. All positions require verifiable work history.
Please no calls, recruiters or 3rd party solicitation.
Email [email protected]
Mail HAPCO, Attn: HR Dept., 26252 Hillman Hwy., Abingdon, VA 24210
Equal Employment Opportunity and Drug Free Workplace