As a member of IES we know that you have been witnessing first-hand the transformation that our society has been going through over the last few years. At IES we are always thinking about the future and how we can best provide value to our members, develop and educate the future leaders of our industry, be facilitators for cutting-edge and industry changing research, and increase the overall awareness of our standards and technical works.
Various improvements have been made with a focus on increasing the value of your membership. It is our hope that you have been able to experience these positive changes, whether through your normal or increased participation with IES. We have accomplished a lot, and just some of these completed and ongoing initiatives include:
- Education for Members – Almost one year ago, we launched the IES Educational Webinar Series, which includes monthly webcasts that are available to members both live and as a recorded archive at no additional cost. We have received terrific feedback from you with regards to the quality of this new educational member service and last month we had over 2,000 individuals register to attend, with a typical average registration of 1,300! IES has also provided nearly 30,000 CEU hours in 71 programs over the last 10 months!
- Education for Section Programming – Our Director of Education has been working closely with our sections to put together programming that compliments other IES educational services. New and revised programs have been made available, as well as recorded video series that can substitute a live presenter when needed.
- Technical Documents and the Handbook – We have improved the processes that govern our technical committees to allow our documents to be placed on continual maintenance and deliver relevant information, in a shorter amount of time, while being more robust with incorporating public input, and without compromising the consensus process. In addition, we are beginning the process of creating the next Handbook which will allow for digital content and apps that are more readily accessible to you, the membership.
- Conferences – There have been investments made to improve the quality of our annual events such as the Annual Conference, Street and Area Lighting Conference, and Research Symposium. We have seen a substantial increase in overall member participation at these events and we look forward to continuing to improve upon how we deliver the value of these events.
- Improved IES Office for Members and Committees – The IES is in the final stage of completing office renovations as another way to increase the value of your membership. This new modernized office, which we are all very proud of, offers space for members to visit and use for professional purposes. With new built-in technologies, it’s an excellent location for committees to hold working meetings.
- Improved Global Lighting Community – IES has been proactively reaching out to other global lighting organizations in an effort to increase collaboration, identify areas that we can help one another to increase awareness in our profession, and align resources to create a more cohesive global community.
We have accomplished a lot in a short amount of time, but there is also a lot of work still left to be done to get IES where we as a Board want it to be. To that end, effective July 1, 2018, the IES Board has approved an increase in annual membership dues. The last time there was a dues increase was thirteen (13) years ago in 2005, and this was a decision based on not only what we have been able to accomplish, but also what we will be accomplishing to continue to increase the value of your membership with IES. With the extra funding, we will be able to sustain and develop exceptional membership services in our rapidly changing industry while continuing to advance our society.
This does not impact your renewal date, and on your next renewal after July 1, 2018 you will notice the new amount. The changes to our dues structure are as follows:
|CATEGORY||OLD DUES (USD)||NEW DUES (USD)|
|Individual Subscriber||$550 yr 1/$350 renewal||$600/$400|
|Emeritus Member||Exempt from dues||Remains unchanged|
|Sustaining Member||Varies based on level||Remains unchanged|
We appreciate your continued support as we strategically and diligently work advance the IES. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact any of us directly or Tim Licitra, IES Executive Director.
We look forward to seeing you at the upcoming 2018 IES Annual Conference in Boston, Massachusetts (August 9 – 11) or the Street and Area Lighting Conference (SALC) in Orlando, Florida (September 30 – October 3).
The IES Board of Directors